Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Brick

Today's workout was a brick workout. I've never done one, and given that my first race is in two weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to actually do it. So here was the scheduled workout:

Brick - 90 min bike ride, 30 min run

Sometime during the week, I remembered that I needed to get in some transition training as well. Coach L met me a few minutes early to go over everything for transition. I'm glad I got that in with her. There's so much to set out, remember to do, etc. Especially for transition 1 - swim to bike.

We headed out on the ride, and I was up front. Not sure that was the best idea, but hey, it worked. Coach L came up and took the lead for a while. She later told me I'm a pretty strong biker. She kept turning her head, expecting to have lost me, but I was keeping up with her pretty well. We got 8.5 miles into the ride and Coach L asked when we wanted to turn around (there was a group of 5), we decided to do about 12 miles out.

Right after this conversation, there's a downhill with a 90 degree turn at the bottom. Guess who didn't quite make the turn? Yup, me. I ran smack into another biker. Thank goodness he was nice - and that we both ended that with 1) minimal damage and 2) standing. One of the other ladies fell down right behind us, but we (and she said this) think it was more to do with her handle bars being loose than with me crashing into the other biker.

After we all checked out, tighted the handlebars, we continued on our ride. We got to the 12 mile point and turned around. Coach L, her husband, and I were up front, so we waited for the other two ladies. As we were waiting, Coach L needed to move to the right a little, and I was just behind her, so I needed to move over as well. Guess who fell again? I REALLY need to learn to unclip my right foot when I'm standing still. At least it was on gravel this time.

The last 12 miles (back) were very uneventful, which was nice. I got back, threw my bike in the car, put my running shoes on and started on my (short) run. I ran for 10 minutes, which was definitely enough. It was just over a mile and ever second of it SUCKED.

After the run, I headed for a quick lunch followed by a massage. That was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment