Sunday, April 10, 2011

If I don't kill myself on my bike...

... it'll be a freakin miracle. So, every rider's had a number of flats and has fallen down while clipped into their bike. I've now done both in the matter of a week.

I show up to the W&OD trail and start to get ready to ride. The other ladies in the group get there and also start to get ready. T was kind enough to inflate my tires since my pump at home sucks (new pump since acquired). Coach L's bike is still on it's way from CA from her race last week, so she was just there to send us off.  After T pumped my tires, I get on the bike, clip in my right foot and must've (stupidly) lifted my left foot because I fell over... standing still.

Man did I feel stupid. The ladies were great - getting me to laugh as quickly as possible, reassuring me that everyone's done it, even telling me their own stories. Coach L asks if I'm ok and I said "yea, I'm ok." and then lifted my capris over my knee. Turns out, I scraped it pretty good. J had bandaids, thankfully since mine were sitting in my garage... oops, and got me a couple. Put the bandaids on and it was time to go.

T and I set out heading west on the W&OD. She's really helped me along in the past 3 weeks I've been with the group and I am thankful that she has. She hung out at my pace for the first 8.5 miles, until I turned around. I hope she had a good rest of her ride.

After 8.5 miles, I turned around and headed back. 17 miles took me 1 hr 17 min. Not a great time by any means, but the more I ride, the more it'll come down.

My husband and I took a bike maintenance class today as well. Very informative and helpful. After the class, we picked up the bike pump and some chain oil. Definitely need to oil the chain. You're supposed to do that every 2 weeks... oops! I've got so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment