Saturday, May 14, 2011

TriRock (Unofficial) Race Day Recap

I didn't really sleep much last night. In fact, I'm not sure that I ever REALLY got to sleep. Ah well. I planned on that happening. The wake up call was at 4am. I hopped out of bed and showered (yes, I realize that's a bit weird considering I was headed to a race, but it woke me up and reenergized me).

After the shower, I got dressed and placed the TriTats on my legs and arms in the appropriate places. We then took a couple of before pictures. After that, I went through my bag once last time to figure out if there was anything else I did (or didn't) need. I grabbed my breakfast for the car and we started to make our way out.


I had SO much fun... even if the pictures J took don't say so.  My times weren't fantastic, but neither were the conditions, so whatever. Here's the debrief:

I set up my transition area, went and talked with J, then went back to my area to check over everything and put on my wetsuit. I went back to talk with J just before going to wait for the swim start.



The swim just sucked. They had us jump in and tread water for about 3 minutes, which was good because you could kind of get used to the water. Once we started and got passed the bouys, the water was so choppy I actually wished I had my sea bands with me (I get sea sick). I couldn't get my breathing down for freestyle, so I ended up sidroking the majority of the time. My goal then became just getting out of the water as fast as I could. Jon said I looked absolutely miserable.








T1 went well - it took me just over 3 minutes. There was a longer run into and out of the transition area than I was expecting. I got everything I needed to do done though, which is what I've been stressing out about for so long.






The bike went better than expected. It was my first time riding in the rain and I managed to stay upright the entire time, which is all I wanted. I saw a lot of the people riding tri bikes having a really hard time handling their bikes with the wet roads (it was rolling hills and a good number of corners). Most of the accidents that happened were those guys. The people on mountain bikes were having an easier time with the wet roads because their tires are fatter, but a harder time with the hills. Jon said that about 3-5 minutes before I came in, two bikers wiped out at the end of the bike ride. I was so glad that got cleaned up before I got there. It was pretty slippery and we were being told to slow down at every corner.

T2 was good - took me 2:40, most of that was the run in and out! By the time I got to the run course, my legs were feeling pretty good.



The run was way slower than I expected (I forgot my watch in transition... oops), but I think some of the race course marshals were directing us to do some extra mileage (after looking at the course again. I felt great though and that's all that mattered to me.



I finished in 1:39:25, middle of the pack, middle of my age group. Most importantly, smiling! I think my first words to J were "I even stayed upright the entire time!" I was smiling like a goofball for a good 5 hrs (before I just wanted to collapse). I can't wait for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment