Friday, September 2, 2011

My crazy self

So instead of posting about a workout, this one's going to be about what I talked my crazy self into...

As I previously mentioned, I talked with Coach L on Tuesday about something. That something was a long-distance race: the Maine Half Rev to be exact. Because "IronMan" is a brand name, the Revolution 3 race series calls their Half distance the Half Rev. The Main race is the 70.3 distance - just like the IronMan.

The race is August 26, 2012. This means I have exactly 51 weeks to prepare. Coach L and I talked about whether or not it was a reachable goal. She flat out told me that if I were some of the other people who I train with, she'd tell me I should really think about it... but for me, I have the heart, dedication, and athleticism to accomplish it.

It's so weird to think that I have the athleticism to do something. I've never really viewed myself as an athlete. This is just what I do as a hobby. I'm not crazy good at it, but I really enjoy it. It's hard work, but it's all ME. There's no one else that can take the credit for it. Even my coach... she can put out the workouts, but if I don't do them and am not prepared, that's on me.

So, I signed up. I committed myself - and subjected my wornderful, ever supportive husband - to the grueling 20 weeks of 9 workouts a week. I am so very thankful every day that I have him to stand by my side as I take on one challenge after another. I am also so very thankful that I can. I've learned a lot about myself this season, and hope to learn a lot more next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment