Thursday, September 15, 2011

Crazy Thursday

I knew today's workout was going to be a little crazy, and require a lot of mind over matter. I also knew that no matter what, I needed to get through it because I desperately need to figure out my nutrition for Oct 1's race. Here was the workout:

Thursday
TNT
Bike - 4 x 2 mile efforts rest 2 min. in btwn. hold efforts within 3-5 sec of each other; good wu and cd
Run - 15-30 min. off the bike with 5 x 1 min. on 1 min. off


I went to TNT. Did my 45 minutes... which included some wonderfully weighted legs - 20 lb weights in each hand doing walking lunges. Man, that sucked. I don't normally complain about that, but knowing the rest of my workout, it had me a bit worried.

After TNT, I sucked down the Honey Stinger Strawberry flavor (with caffeine). It was pretty good. I took in about 6 oz of water with it as well. Straight to the spin room for me.

I got on the bike and settled in for the 50 minute ride. All of my 2 mile (or 3.2 km) efforts were exactly 5:53 except the last one, which i did in 5:47. I was happy that I was able to keep them even. I know it's a controlled environment, but things can still go wrong, especially when you're messing with nutrition. So, at minute 45, I took in the second gel and another 6 oz or so of water - this time a Honey Stingers Chocolate flavor (without caffeine) - and prepped for the run.

I got off the bike, cleaned it, changed into my running shoes, filled my water bottle one last time, and found my treadmill. I got through the 20 minutes pretty easily. I FORCED myself to run the warmup time slowly and that helped a lot. My five 1 min on 1 min off efforts went smoothly and then I did the 5 min cooldown.

Overall, the nutrition went well. My stomach didn't turn on me, which has been a problem in the past, so that's a good thing. The best part about it was that I didn't feel like I was going to chew off my arm at the end of the workout. Loved it!

One thing that worries me a bit is that when I asked T about the Honey Stinger gels and he didn't know waht they were and when I mentioned they're similar to GU, his reaction was "I don't believe in that stuff. If I'm going to eat, I'll have real food". I forget (constantly) that he's not an endurance athlete and he really knows nothing about it. It's hard for me to talk with him about that kind of stuff. Grrrr...

Overall, great workout, all 2 hrs of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment