Wednesday, June 6, 2012

National Running Day

Happy National Running Day! To celebrate, I went out and ran 3.78 miles (I know, a weird distance) in just over 37 minutes. Monday's run was supposed to be a 35 minute zone 2 run and I skipped it (oops?). Today was supposed to be track work, but it's sooooo nice out that I decided to do Monday's run instead. The extra 2 minutes I did were to actually get home. For once, I timed it wrong the long way... and not the short way!

Even though she doesn't read this blog, I'd like to take a minute to thank my first TNT coach, Megan, for encouraging me to get on the treadmill and run. After accomplishing that, she encouraged me to get outside and run. She worked with me to get me to do my first 5k - which was in April 2007 and in the 40 degree range and rainy! I completed that and progressed through to a half marathon in January 2008 (DISNEY!) and then a marathon in October 2008 (MCM). The half marathon distance continues to be my favorite, although the 10 miler is quickly moving up there on my list as well.

Megan also encouraged me to start doing tris after I pulled my achilles in August 2009. It took me 15 months to recover from that pull and I had to basically walk my way back into running. When I started talking with her about doing a sprint tri after I knew I could run again, she was so encouraging and helpful!

Recently, Megan's health has not been good (and she's young - not even 30 yet) and she's been in and out of the hospital. She's working her way toward recovery and I know she'll do it; after all, she's an Ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment