Sunday, March 25, 2012

To get or not to get?!

So... after yesterday's bike ride, I decided to start looking into power meters. Trainer Road is all about virtual power, but I'm thinking that power will be a good thing to have in general. The research began...

Garmin Vector:
Price - $1500.
Pros- pedal based system. Super easy to switch between bikes. Would be able to work with the Garmin Edge 500.
Cons - Different pedal set than I have now. No firm release date. Not proven.

SRAM Quarq:
Price - $1795+
Pros - Proven system. Crank based. Can use whatever wheelset I want. Works with Garmin Edge 500 bike computer.
Cons - Would have to replace components on my road bike. Cost more than my road bike!

PowerTap:
Price: $1000+
Pros - Proven system. Works with Garmin Edge 500 bike computer.
Cons - Hub based, can't switch out wheels. Seems to be becoming a bit less popular, potential for less support in the long run.

Note: I have a Garmin Edge 500, so that was something I wanted to be sure to be able to use.

We went into The Bike Lane (our wonderful local bike store) to be schooled in the ways of the power meter. Tony, one of our favorite sales guys, suggested going with the Quarq. Jon and I have been debating my getting a tri bike. I really do want one, especially doing the longer distance tris. I've fallen in L-O-V-E with the Trek Speed Concept 7.8 WSD. 

The only problem... it's expensive. Not super crazy, but it's enough that I really need to think about it. If I get it, I'll replace the crank with the Quarq immediately and not ever ride on the original. The only reason I'll be getting the WSD over the regular gender-neutral bike is that I'll likely need the XS frame size. Silly being short!

I also looked at getting tri shoes for this season. I'll ride my road bike with my road shoes, but races will definitely be in the tri shoes. Love these shoes. They special ordered a 37 and 37.5 (bike shoes are in European sizes) since the 38 was a bit too big.
The great thing about The Bike Lane is that they'll spend a good hour or two talking with you about things... the bad thing is that I can easily drop a good bit of money every time I go in there!

2 comments:

  1. Anxious to read what you get :). Brneda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'll definitely be getting the shoes. The real question is... get the new bike or not? Jon's pretty much said to get the Quarq, no matter what. Jon also told me to get the new bike... I'm just not sure which is more fiscally responsible. Of course, the most fiscally responsible thing to do is change nothing (other than the shoes) and work with what I have. :)

    ReplyDelete