Sunday, August 21, 2011

Sunday's Brick

I emailed L about whether or not we were still on for our Sunday ride on Friday night. I got an email on Saturday afternoon from L that was only addressed to T and I. I was so happy to see T's name on the email! However, it also scared the living bejesus out of me. T and L are VERY strong riders. Not only that, but they were both going to be on tri bikes and I was going to be on my road bike. YIKES!!!! Oh and L picked one of the hilliest routes around here.

I woke up at 5:20, got ready, and heaed over to L's house. She was trying to get out of the ride with T. T wasn't having it, so we drug her along. L had to be home sooner than she thought, so we'd just have to push it. L said "did you hear that Heather? T says you're going to have to ride like hell!" I said "I was planning on having to do that to keep up with you two anyhow!" They both laughed.

The ride was HARD. I'm not even going to lie. My legs were not ready for this ride. After all of the squats and lunges yesterday, I guess they were more tired than I thought. I spent most of the ride chasing down L and T. They had me set pace for about 10 minutes, which was good, but whew! I was glad when they took back over. L was talking with T about someone being a "great athlete" and how impressed she was... apparently she was talking about me. I got up "my hill" (the one I fell over trying to get up the first time I rode it) this time. Man was that rough.

After we got back into the neighborhood to get back to L's house, L rode back with me for a minute and told me that I'm bad ass. We had a chat about how much I've put into this season and how most 1st season triathletes don't put in the work I have, how I've never complained that a workout's too hard and I just do whatever is asked of me, and how much dedication I've put in. Once we got out to the main road, T said "we've got 2 minutes to get you home, let's rock it back". Those two took off like CRAZY. Um yea, here's where a road bike FAILS in comparison.

They were kind of giggling when I finally got to L's house. I was like "nice guys, I mean, obviously the tri bike wins!". T and I changed into our running shoes, L went in to shower and get going to her daughter's soccer stuff. T and I decided to trail run for a bit. We did just about 4 miles. My hamstrings were KILLING me about 3 miles into it. T and I talked about that and why they were bothering me... and it was the first time I mentioned the 500+ squats/lunges I did yesterday. She about stopped running and was like "HEATHER!" That made me laugh a bit.

We also talked about T becoming a coach. She'd be great at it. She's worried about building clientelle and also having a group that's motivated to do their workouts. I completely understand what she's worried about. I think a certain type would gravitate towards her.

Overall, a great workout this morning. My legs are killing me. I'm ready for my rest day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment