Friday, March 18, 2011

The Beginning

In 2008, I ran a few 5ks, my first half marathon, and my first marathon. When I crossed the finished line of the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM), I said I'd never do it again. I lied.

I went on to run a few other races. During the GW Parkway Classic, I pulled my AT, but didn't think much of it. I tried to stay off of it as much as possible and 8 weeks later began training for my second MCM. I should've listened to myself and not done it again. In late August/early September, I pulled my AT again... for real this time. If I ran shorter distances, it didn't bother me, so I ran the 10k instead of the marathon. I PR'd that day... but couldn't walk without wincing in pain for the next 2 days.

I couldn't run at all. I could barely walk on it without pain. So, I started cross training. Riding the stationary bike and starting to dabble in swimming. You can only do the elliptical for so long before you go crazy. I started going to spin class to ease the boredom and fell in love.

13 months and a few pounds gained and then lost later, I got back on the treadmill and started the Couch to 5k (C25k) program. I was running faster than ever and it felt great! I had a few virtual training partners to keep me on track, which definitely helped. Some time during the C25k program, I decided to (finally) give triathlons a try. My trainer's only been working on me for about 3 years now.

2 comments:

  1. you are doing so awesome!!! i am so motivated by you...even though Im not nearly as dedicated you Heather. you rock!!! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! This is more something to do to keep my bouncy self occupied (and to make me stay in shape) than it is true dedication. I promise. :)

    ReplyDelete