Friday, March 22, 2013

I need to stop reading...

I really need to stop reading things. The more I read, the more angry I become about what our government (USDA and FDA) is allowing to be put in products.

Before triathlon and becoming a personal trainer, I could've cared less. In fact, Jon and I once had a conversation about GMOs that we both agreed they were probably fine. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm angry about the fact that we allow one company to rule so much of our seed market & control our farmers. Monsanto is becoming the government of the seeds/farms. I don't like it one bit. I want to know that my food is whole, safe, and tastes as it should.

This year, I'm starting a back patio garden. I've been wanting to for years now. I've got the time this year, so I figured "why not?" We'll see how well I do. For starters, we don't have an actual back yard. It's our driveway. Since the HOA says I can't grow things in my front yard, I have to have my garden on my patio. I discovered something called a grow bag. I bought 2 potato bags, 1 garlic bag, 1 carrot bag, 1 tomato bag, 1 herb bag, 1 lettuce bag, and 1 onion bag.

Next up, figure out the seeds. A friend posted an article on Facebook about non-GMO, non-Monsanto seeds. I took a look at it and decided I really liked Seed Savers Exchange. I went ahead and ordered the following:

Potatoes: Yukon Gold
Carrots: St. Valery
Tomatoes: Tomato Sampler (no idea which 6 plants I'll get)
Herbs: Stevia, Basil, Cilantro, and Chives
Lettuce: Lettuce Sampler; mix of Australian Yellowleaf, Forellenschluss, Pablo, Red Velvet, and at least four more of our favorite varieties
Onions: Red Wethersfield
Sweet Potatoes: need to keep looking for some...
Garlic: Can't be ordered until July

I can't wait to start my backyard garden and see how it goes! I'm not usually great with plants, so we'll see...

In triathlon related news: I've been sick with a cold all week. It's been just bad enough that workouts aren't a good idea, but just "good" enough that I could at least do other stuff. I REALLY need to get back on board next week or these races are going to majorly suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment