Monday, February 3, 2014

Whole 30

So, I've been thinking about doing the Whole 30 for a while. I bought the book It Starts with Food about a year and a half ago. I read it in September or October of last year. Sometimes I'm a little slow with getting on board my own ideas.

In November 2012, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. It was only then that I found out there's family history. Wonderful. I started making dietary changes after my first meeting with my endocrinologist. The first set was to cut out processed foods & sugars. My numbers got better.

In September 2013, my grandfather passed away very suddenly. I got a chance to see my cousin who is also hypothryoid and talked with her for a while. She's able to control hers specifically through diet. She mentioned she's been Paleo for quite a while and gave me some suggested reading.

I decided after that trip to at least go gluten free. November 2013, my endocrinologist called me after my bloodwork and gave me my latest numbers. He said he's never seen that dramatic of an improvement with just diet. I was told to keep doing what I'm doing and come back in a year. That's the best news you can get with an endocrinologist!

The past few months, I've been making more & more Paleo foods. We decided to give Paleo a try in January. The first week went great. The second week went ok. The third & forth week weren't so great. I decided at the end of January to bite the bullet & do Whole 30 starting on Feb 3.

This past weekend was a bit crazy food wise. It was what it was. I spent Sunday morning meal planning. Then, I went grocery shopping & started cooking. Here's the meal plan for the week.

Monday
B: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Apple Sausage, Strawberries
L: Roasted Bacon Tomato Soup
S: Larabar Apple Pie
D: Pina Colada Chicken with Cauliflower Rice

Tuesday
B: Sweet Potato, Apple, and Pancetta Hash
L: BLAST Sushi with Paleo Ranch Dressing
D: Slow Cooker Kalua Pig with Classic Coleslaw

Wednesday
B: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Apple Sausage
L: Deli Chicken Salad with Classic Coleslaw
D: Paleo Stuffed Avocados with Cilantro Cream Sauce

Thursday
B: Sweet Potato, Apple, and Pancetta Hash
L: Slow Cooker Kalua Pig with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
D: Savory Steak and Mushrooms with Salad

Friday
B: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Chicken Apple Sausage
L: Deli Chicken Salad
D: Shepherd's Pie (with sweet potatoes & chicken apple sausage)

Saturday
B: Sweet Potato, Apple, and Pancetta Hash
L: Shepherd's Pie leftovers
D: Pistachio Pesto Chicken Pasta

Sunday - need to plan this out
B:
L:
D:

No comments:

Post a Comment