Sunday, March 6, 2016

And Then There Was a Mass (or Cyst?)

Note: In the interest of this blog becoming more about my everyday health, I'm posting this. It's very personal, but it's part of life these days.

Since the Fuck It List post, I've learned that I have a mass/cyst on my right ovary.

Long story short, my periods have been getting worse (than they were - which still wasn't a walk in the park) since June 2015. I've always had pain that feels like it's in the bone when I get cramps, but they were getting so bad that I couldn't function the first couple of days of my period.

Doctors tend to ignore you... until you find the right doctor.

I finally found a doctor who listened to me. She did a pap smear, pelvic exam, blood work, and ordered an ultrasound. During the pelvic exam, I had some pain on my right side - which is where my bad cramps always are.

I had the ultrasound done on Monday; which was my first ever - since I don't have kids, I've never had the pleasure of having an ultrasound done. The technician did the transabdominal ultrasound & then the transvaginal ones. During the transvaginal one, the radiologist was in the room. He told me that there was a solid mass on my right ovary, that it had blood flow to it, and I needed to talk with my GYN as soon as possible - but to give them 1-2 days to get the results to my doctor. He also said that if I didn't hear from her by Wednesday afternoon, I should call her. Thankfully, I was going to see her on Wednesday morning specifically to go over results, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Later that day, I got a call from the GYN's office saying my pap smear and blood work came back and was normal. At least that was good news!

On Wednesday, Jon & I went to my follow-up appointment. Basically, she gave me options for birth control to control the heavy period. Then we got into the radiology report. She got a little more serious & we went over "next steps". Basically, I need to get an MRI done - as soon as possible. They don't know what kind of cyst it is and they need to get a better look. With the pain I described to her, she thinks it may be sitting on a nerve, but can't be 100% sure.

Our guess, which has not been confirmed yet, is that I'll end up needing surgery to have the mass/cyst removed.

I threw a pity party all week last week - complete with junk food & doing nothing. It was just what I needed. This week, I've got workouts planned, to include boxing (I need to hit something in a healthy way!), and I have meals planned. It will be a better week.

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of kind thoughts and prayers coming your way. And sometimes pity parties are exactly what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete