Friday, February 12, 2016

The F*** It List (note, there's profanity in this one)

Several months ago, there was a post on one of the Facebook groups I'm in about The F*** It List. The list came from a TED Talk given by Scott Jones.

In it, he says that he's fortunate he 1) does something he loves and 2) works with people he loves. I appreciate this because 3.5 years ago, when I left my corporate job, I left people I loved, but a job I didn't love. I had loved it, but had fallen out of love with it. Starting my own business has been hard, trying to grow it has been harder, but I do really enjoy it.

Like Scott, life changed for me when diagnosed with an illness. For him, it was a stroke. For me, it's hypothyroidism, Hashimotos, and adrenal fatigue. It's been a rough road. Really rough. I'm incredibly thankful that it hasn't landed me in the hospital.

After getting out of the hospital, everyone kept telling him it was time to start a bucket list.  He said it felt too showy, too melodramatic. So, he started a list, but it turned out to be a list of things he doesn't want to do moving forward, things he doesn't need in his life.

"Where to begin? What are we going to let go of? What are the things I don't want to do any more?"

I've been thinking on these questions. I've started my list. Since it's kind of personal, I'm not going to share it here. I will share that I keep my list in my Evernote, so that I can keep it with me at all times. This way, I can add to it or remind myself of what's on it at any time.

One thing Scott says that really struck me was:

"Don't do anything that you don't REALLY want to do."

Think about that. REALLY think. Why are you doing things you don't want to?

I struggle with this. I feel a sense of obligation about certain things (especially family things). How do you stop doing those things? How do you set boundaries with people who will be affected by you not doing those things? Going forward, I'll be working on that.

On the same topic, but by a different person, there's a book that was recently published that's going on my to-read list on this subject: How to declutter your life by not giving a fuck. Looking forward to reading it and probably adding more to my Fuck It List.

What will you add to your Fuck It List?

No comments:

Post a Comment