Friday, October 24, 2014

Walt Disney World's Tower of Terror 10 miler - October 4, 2014

After our 2 hr nap (I think I slept for an hour, Jon slept for 2), we got up & got ready for the race. It was early, around 5pm. We knew we needed to eat dinner before the race, so we gave ourselves plenty of time.

Around 5:45, we headed over to Artist's Palette for dinner. I had a GF turkey sandwich and chips. I picked up extra chips, knowing I'd likely need the salt later. By the time we finished eating (a relaxed dinner), going potty, and got everything from the car, we still had about 15 minutes before the busses started running. I was highly impressed that Disney had several busses already lined up, waiting to go, at SSR.

Once the bus was full, we headed to DHS. It was still VERY early, so we found a spot on the ground near bag check and sat for a while. While waiting, I was able to meet up with some Disney bride friends.
Disneymooners are the best!
After that, I met up with my clients who were running their very first race!

Adam, Annie, & I
I also hung out with my hubby & girlfriend.
Jon & I
Nadia & I
At some point, we wandered over to the corral area and all went our separate ways. Well, I went to find my corral. Several of the others were in the same corral, so they all got to hang out together some more.

Some time around 9:35 or so, they started moving us towards the start. It seemed like it was at least a half mile walk to the start. I have no idea how long it really was. I was in corral D & close enough to see/hear everything going on on the stage again. It was nice to see it all in both races for the day!

The fireworks went off & corral A was off! Then B & C followed. When it was time for D to go, we didn't get fireworks. Ah well.

Start line
Getting ready to go!
The first mile was a bit tough. The ramp that was about 1/2 mile in (I think?) was a bit rough. It wasn't that it was a straight up type of ramp, it was that it was a pretty big angle. I pulled my Achielles back in 2009 running on uneven surfaces, so I wasn't trying to aggravate that. Up to the top of the ramp I went, where the ground was more level.

We ran towards Animal Kingdom. It's always fun to watch the fast people run past on an out & back. After the 2nd water stop, I decided to go ahead & stop to use the bathroom. Apparently, I had an issue during these 2 races! I hardly ever stop & I stopped during both races that day. Anyhow... That mile took me FOREVER. The good thing about the line was that I got to admire the huge spider Disney put up on the overpass.

Back on the road, I started the trek back towards Wide World of Sports. On one of the overpasses, I saw Nadia & Annie, so I yelled to them after they yelled at me. I love seeing people I know on the race course!

I got to WWoS & started down the trail section of the race. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about with WWoS was that if there was a type of surface we could've run on, we did. There was packed dirt, asphalt, grass/turf, baseball diamond-style dirt, track, and concrete. It definitely kept my mind occupied, but I was a bit tired of switching surfaces after those couple of miles. There was a HUGE cheering section in the baseball stadium. It was just the lift I needed.

Somewhere around mile 6, I started to pick up pace a bit. It was like my body finally decided to let me run at pace; only took 9 miles of running for the day!

On the turn into DHS, I remember thinking we were pretty close. When I looked at my watch, I realized there was another mile left! Wow! It was during this mile that I experienced the only time I've ever wanted to throw up while running that wasn't Gu induced. They had a "party tunnel" at the costume area of the Backlot Tour. The disco lights were a little too much for those of us who get motion sick from those kinds of things.

Once through the tunnel, it wasn't too much longer before the finish line. Honestly, I was a little underwhelmed by the finish line.

Directly after the finish line there's a LONG walk back to bag check, I'd say it was close to a mile. I almost turned my Garmin back on to track it! Normally we don't check bags, but we were thinking about staying for the after party for a bit, so we checked a change of dry clothes. We also figured it'd be a good place for every one to meet up.

Nadia & Annie had fallen behind pace & were picked up somewhere around mile 4. The bus brought them back & they had already gotten to bag check before I was there, so I grabbed my bag & found them. I continued to track Jon & Adam (and a few others). I was SO HAPPY and PROUD when Adam finished. I knew Jon would likely struggle through (he was getting through a head cold), but wasn't too sure about Adam.

Jon & I after he finished. Not the best picture of either of us, but it had been a LONG day!
Once Jon & Adam joined us, we all sat around for a bit chillin out & getting rehydrated/fed. I think that at some point, everyone in the group said "screw it" to the after party and decided to head back to the room. It was about 2am when we left the park.

We got back to the room at 2:30am. By the time we showered, stretched, rolled out, etc, it was 3 and time for bed! It had been a very long day.

One of the absolute BEST decisions we made all day was to drive from our building to the building closest to the bus drop off at SSR. It allowed us to not have to walk the 15 min walk back to our building at 2:30 in the morning. We were all very happy with that after the race!

Overall, it was a great race. I used my Garmin for this race since my Bia doesn't like getting a signal in race corrals. I didn't stop for pictures, but enjoyed seeing the characters on the way. I ran the fastest 4 miles of the day at the end of the 10 miler. I consider that a win! I'd do the race again, I think, if it's ever offered again. We're taking a break from Disney races for a bit. The registration cost is more than most races + the travel costs basically equal my entire race budget for next year.

Now, to get focused on the last 2 races of the year!

2 comments:

  1. You have a much better disneymooner pic than I did thanks to the photo-bomber, but I see the bomber paid you and Jon a visit..haha.
    That is cool that you passed your friends on the race course. I was so in the zone that I wouldn't have noticed anyone and I found out that I didn't even know a lot of characters were out. I totally missed Hades on the overpass that everyone else thought was so cool! That last mile in DHS seem to last forever (I thought). And I agree, I was not a fan of that tunnel with the spinning lights, I thought I was gonna get sick too.
    I am so sorry your friends got picked up. That is a bummer that it was annie's first race. I really enjoyed the after party, but we left around 2am as well. We stayed at the boardwalk area so we could have easily walked back but we did the lazy thing and took the bus because we were both tired and my legs were starting to hurt ( I guess running 2 races in one day will do that to you). Congrats to you and Jon for another successful race! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually a different photo bomber - ours was my other client, Adam. :)

      Annie wasn't going to even start the race due to life happening & training taking a back seat. Nadia has bad PF, so she just wanted to go as far as she could. They decided to stick together & from their texts (and mood after), they were happy to be picked up.

      Delete