Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Walt Disney World's Happy Haunted Trail 5k - October 4, 2014

The alarm went off around 5am. We had decided not to take the race transportation to the 5k since we had the car & it'd allow us to sleep a little longer if we didn't take it. So, I got ready, had some breakfast (Gluten Free Oatmeal), and we headed out.

We got lost on the way to WWoS, again. We arrived with plenty of time to go though. Once we were parked, we walked up to where the expo is. It started sprinkling and I needed to use the restroom, so we wandered into one of the buildings. After a pit stop, we grabbed some pavement & sat for a while.



I was texting with my friend, J, waiting for her to get there. I thought it had stopped raining, but it wasn't. Oops! By the time J got there, it had slowed to a sprinkle & was tapering off. We walked down to the field & towards the corrals.

Jon & Nadia wished me luck & found a place to cheer. J & I went to the corral area - where they were already loading corral A into start position. I hopped into the corral as they we walking by and wished J luck and a good race.

The guys on the stage were great for this race. I've never been close enough at a Disney race that I could actually see the stage, so that was worth it alone. We got a glimpse of the Headless Horseman (who usually only starts the Boo to You parade, in the dark), so that was really cool!


While all of that was going on, I was trying to get my Bia to connect to GPS. It found the GoStick no problem, but never did pick up the GPS. This is not the first time I've had this problem in a run-only race while I was in a corral. I started the race pretty annoyed that I now had to use the watch pretty much as a stop watch. I really wanted the map for this run!

During the run, I didn't take any pictures and I took this one S-L-O-W! I stopped at the port-a-potties at the first water stop, chatted with the biking medics for a hot second (thanking them for their volunteer time), and slowed to see the characters (without stopping or taking pictures). I wanted to conserve energy for that night's race and also not trip over anything - though there was only one root that I saw on the course. Also, just by the nature of not running on the road, my time was a bit slower. I ended up doing the race in 40:16. Not too bad for an un-timed race that was purely for fun.


This was a really fun race & the character to mile ratio was very high! After the race, I got my medal, went through the finish area, and got my snack box. I was actually pretty hungry, so I ate what I could (that was gluten free).

Nadia went back into the expo to get her feet taped up for the 10 miler later that night and we chilled where we were.

After resting for a bit, I got a text from J saying where she was on the course. Her corral was pretty clogged up when I passed them making the turn into/out of the woods, so I had expected it would be a bit.

Jon & I went to find a place to cheer and bring J in. I'm so glad we got to see her! After the race, she went to the medical tent to visit with the medical director, who is a friend of hers. J brought the medical director out & it was nice to meet her. I told her that it was great to meet her, but that I hope I never saw her at a race. She giggled about that.

We socialized for a few minutes and then all headed back to the hotels/home to get showers and do our thing for the day. Nadia, Jon, & I ended up in DHS for a couple of hours and then back to the hotel to try to nap & then get ready for the 10 miler.

Up next: 2 races in one day - what was I thinking?!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you all had a good time. I am also so glad that the rain stopped just in time for the race. Rain on race day is not fun, but rain on race day when you are on a trail is REALLY not fun. Glad it all worked out though. Why didn't Jon race with you? -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't mind racing in the rain, but wasn't wanting to deal with it on the trail!

    Jon did the 10 miler, so he didn't feel the need to do the 5k too. I guess I was the only one crazy enough when we signed up. I really should write that race report too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can't wait to read how your 10 miler went!

    ReplyDelete