Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Good News and The Sentencing

On Friday, I went back to my endocrinologist. It was the first time I've been excited to see him and I hate going to the dr. I've made some serious changes to my diet since February.

On April 6, we started a non-processed diet. In September, while at my grandfather's funeral, I talked with my cousin who is also hypothyroid (and Hashimoto's). She was telling me that she keeps a mostly Paleo diet. When we got home, I decided to give the grain free & gluten free diet a chance.

Originally, I was going to do it for 30 days. I didn't make it all 30 for the grain free, but continued with gluten free. I decided to go ahead & keep on with the gluten free diet because I was sleeping better and many of my other symptoms went away.

Friday, I told my dr about the dietary changes & how much better I was feeling. We talked about some other things and he told me what he considered "perfect" numbers to be. I got my blood drawn and he did the rest of his check up & I began the wait.

On Sunday, I got a call from Dr T. He told me he's surprised, but my numbers were PERFECT. My TSH is down to 1.2 and my antibody levels were next to nothing. He said it was the best turn around he's ever seen in a non-medicated patient and that I'm to continue what I'm doing. If I do that, I see him in a year or if symptoms come back.

I figured the numbers would be better, but I was shocked that they were SO much better. I was anxious to get home & check the values of my antibodies. When he said next to nothing, he wasn't kidding. My Hashimoto's indicators were almost all gone.

My sentence? Gluten free, non-processed foods lifestyle.

I know it's not really a "sentence", but I needed a few minutes/hours to grieve. There are several items that are on my "favorites" list that I can no longer have. It's not a big deal and eventually I'll get used to it. But it's hard. (Yes, you should read that in a whiney voice.) I'm OK with the change. It's better than being on medication for the rest of my life.

Now to get on with it & start adapting recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment