Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Another Cyst/Mass Update

I got the MRI radiology report yesterday. What my doctor told me ("Everything looks normal, there's no cyst. Go to your primary care to see if you have GI issues going on.") and what I read were two very different things.

The report had two "impressions" on it:

1) No concerning solid right ovarian mass identified. There is a partially collapsed corpus luteum and a small hemorrhagic cyst within the right ovary. The ovaries also have an appearance which may be seen with polycystic ovary syndrome.

2) Findings consistent with mild adenomyosis.

In the rest of the report, the hemorrhagic cyst is likely the same one as was on the sonogram. They can simulate a solid mass, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same one.

On the left side, there was free fluid in the cul-de-sac (which apparently is consistent with a cyst that has ruptured). Also of note, the left ovary was double the size it was during the ultrasound a month earlier. There were no cysts/masses found on the left side, but that's not too surprising.

Adenomyosis is a condition in which epotopic tissue is found in the muscle wall of the uterus. The only known full cure for this is hysterectomy. There are a couple of other treatments that could lessen the effects of the adenomyosis, but they may or may not work.

I'm wrapping my head around a lot of things right now. Looking forward to my second opinion next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment