Friday, August 23, 2013

Health At Every Size

Since I became a personal trainer last October, I've been primarily wanting to focus on getting people healthier. Don't most trainers? That focus has led me to making some drastic changes in our own household - to include cutting out most processed foods. Even while doing this, I've gained weight. This makes me beyond frustrated. If you follow this blog, you'll know just by looking at it that I'm not working out as much as I was this time last year. That's a BIG part of my weight gain. So, I'm responsible for that one! That being said, I'm really struggling to be "ok" with my body. I say ok with it... I'm even further from being HAPPY with it.

After getting my initial certification, I decided that I wanted to get a specialty certification in Weight Management. I'd learn something for myself and I'd be able to pass along information to my clients. The first two sections of the certification were "old news" and I flew through them without giving any of it a second thought. Currently, I'm reading "Non-diet Weight Management: A Lifestyle Approach to Health & Fitness". Truth be told, this is probably the book that I've been most excited to read. Why? (news flash!) Because DIETS DON'T WORK.

In Chapter 2 of the book, they introduce a term called "Health At Every Size (HAES)". What does this mean? Well, basically it means that you should accept yourself for who you are, where you are. It means taking strides to be HEALTHIER, not necessarily THINNER. It's trying to get rid of the notion that healthy = thin. Changing societal views. 

It got me thinking. I'm not happy with myself at my current weight. But why is that? 
  1. I'm slower than I was in all 3 of my sports. Is that because of my weight or my lack of training? I know the answer is "lack of training". 
  2. The clothes in my closet reflect me 20 lbs ago. Easily changeable - change the clothes!
  3. I don't like the way I look in pictures. This is the one I REALLY need to work on. Accepting me for me. Knowing that my body isn't a full reflection of who I am. 
If I can't move past these things and apply HAES to myself, how am I going to be able to do so with my clients? In a way, I'm glad I struggle with this. It'll make me a stronger trainer/mentor for my clients and I'll be able to identify with them a little more. 

The book also talks about a "non-diet" approach. Basically, making lifestyle changes instead of diets. Really embracing every change that makes you a little healthier - one change at a time. I really try to focus on this with my clients, but I know I'm not perfect. This reminds me to be more focused on it. Celebrate the changes that promote health and not to dwell on the ones that don't (or to try to redirect the ones that don't to things that will be more healthy overall).

What are your thoughts on "Healthy At Every Size"? Do you struggle with loving yourself for who you are - no matter the size? What steps could you take to start loving yourself today?

4 comments:

  1. In so many ways I am so glad I put my scale away.

    Love #2!! Last week I went to Talbot's and bought 3 pairs of pants that fit good and make me feel good wearing them. (And they were on sale, 80% off) The size isn't what I like but it is what it is. I do wish I had the money to really redo my wardrobe because I know that would help.

    I love to work out and I love to eat. I am just not making any more diet changes except for maybe looking at my snacking. I was at a workshop and one of the presenters basically eats chicken and zucchini. She is tiny but I know that is just not something I am willing to do.

    Little treats like a massage, manicure (no polish but just getting my cuticles cleaned up), taking care of my skin all make me "look" better. I wish I had someone in my life who told me I look good even though I know you are suppose to feel good from within etc.

    For #3 I say try new clothes and a different camera angle. It won't solve it all but it makes a difference.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda. I wanted to be fully honest & "out there" with this post because I think it's important that people see that even fitness professionals - and people that you think have it together - struggle with the same things as everyone else.

    Only chicken & zucchini isn't sustainable or healthy. "Tiny" isn't worth that! You've got to experience life, and part of life is food. Doesn't mean over-indulge, but at least experience it!

    I know what you mean about the little treats. Society really does teach us from a young age what looking "good" is and doesn't really tell us what being healthy is.

    As far as the photos - I consider this to be a challenge of learning to love myself for me... no matter the weight. I know that I'm overall healthy. I need to accept this and be proud of where I am. You're right though, angles/clothes do help. This is definitely more about having a healthy view of myself in general!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog and very relevant to those who spend hours in a week training and then just stop due to fatigue, injury, recovery, etc. One thing I told myself in the past was I was going to be happy with whatever weight I was because I had people who "loved me for myself"....but then I asked myself, was I REALLY HAPPY WITH MYSELF? The answer was no. I remember after I got done training with my first marathon, I was exhausted from all the hours spent on my feet and running (6 days per week) and I just QUIT completely. No gym, no cardio, no bike or swim. NOTHING! I gained all the weight back I had lost in training and then some. I was truly disappointed in myself. When I started running again, I told myself "I will never do that again because its that much harder to get back to where you were." And then repeat the cycle. I finally get it.....Calories in, Calories out. You can exercise all day long but if you go home and eat a steak, mashed potatoes, peas and bread, followed by brownies, then are you really doing any good. I finally get it and that knowledge is empowering! I'm so proud of you regardless! Just be true to yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After training for 2 yrs straight to get to my 70.3, that's exactly what happened. Life happened, I was tired, I stopped. It was so hard to get started back up this season. But you know - that's on me. It's amazing how many times we can repeat our cycles without truly learning from them!

    HAES is definitely about starting to accept yourself and not self-depreciate. Not necessarily being happy with where you are, but accepting that you're at whatever stage you're at. That's really the part I need to work at. Just accepting it. It's hard!

    Thank you :) I'm definitely trying to stay true to myself! Now, to get back on the wagon!

    ReplyDelete