Friday, February 22, 2013

Thyroid update

Since September 2012, I've been on a roller coaster with respect to my thyroid. In November 2012, my endocrinologist had my TSH, Free T3, and Free T4 (as well as Hashimoto indicators since it runs in my family) tested. Technically, all numbers are normal. With my symptoms, he has diagnosed me with hypothyroid primary.

I went in for a 3 month retest yesterday and got my blood work back today. It hasn't changed much from 3 months ago, so once again, whether or not to medicate. For now, my dr and I have decided NOT to medicate, even though my symptoms are pretty much constant. He said something to me that made a lot of sense.

"It's much easier to make a decision to medicate rather than to come off medication to determine whether or not it seems to be working later."

With my thyroid symptoms being both hyper and hypo, he's concerned that I'll have mixed to no relief of my symptoms and want to come off the meds to see if it was really helping.

Basically, there's no easy decision for me. I'm just glad to have found a dr who listens to me and gives me his straight opinion instead of blowing me off.

No comments:

Post a Comment