Tuesday, February 19, 2013

GW Birthday Marathon Relay Race Report - February 17, 2013

This was hands down the weirdest race I've EVER done.

A couple of months ago, a bunch of Team Z people formed a lot of relays for this marathon. It's the first marathon I've heard of that does relays, so I figured I'd be game for it. Fast forward to this weekend, and we were all thinking one thing... the weather could've cooperated a bit more!

Packet pickup was in a small youth center in Greenbelt, MD. We got there at 8:30am for a 10:30am start. Given that it was about 25 degrees outside, we all huddled inside until they told us it was time to walk to the start. Everyone was shedding layers to not overheat before the race.

Waiting around

More waiting
Around 10:10, the race director asked us to start moving towards the start. This is where things get REALLY weird... The race start was literally a timing mat and a chalk line. They've been running this race for 52 years now. It's still a pretty small race!

The race was three loops around farm country in PG County, MD. It was super hilly... rolling hills... and not Eastern Loudoun County rolling hills. I was doing the first loop - 9.7 miles. The start wasn't too bad, and then we had a nice long downhill, and then we got hit with the wind. By mile two, I was FROZEN. The wind was so crazy. Sometimes, it'd just stop you (or slow you to a walk). If I didn't have teammates waiting for me, I would've thrown in the towel.

Along the course, I met some great people. I love chatting with people while I'm running. I knew this wouldn't be a super fast run based on the conditions, so I chatted for a bit, walked when I needed to, and ran when I could.

Once we got to Powder Mill Road, the car traffic got a little crazy, as did the wind. I really just wanted to be done. I've never wanted to stop in the middle of a race more. It was COLD, and HILLY, and WINDY. Right around mile 9, there was another freakin hill. I was so close to being done and was feeling so defeated.

Then, right when I needed it the most, I could hear the "cry of the Z" (horns). I still couldn't see them, but I could hear them. I got to the top of the hill and turned the corner and could see Jon. Oh thank goodness. That meant I was almost DONE. FINALLY!!!! I handed the wrist band off to my #2 relay person and wished her good luck. Poor thing... right after she left, it started to snow... sideways... twice. I felt so bad.

Team Z rockin the grill

I love my Zers

So. Cold.

Hi honey!

Gettin this done!

Jen welcoming me into transition

Making sure the wrist band read across the timing mats


As I walked back to the Team Z transition area, all I could think about was trying to get warm. I've never asked for hot chocolate right after a race. That's all I could think about though.





Oh hot chocolate and warm food!

Z camping out

Just chillin... literally!
One of the MD Zers dropped and did some pushups during his run!
I got warmed up and changed as much as I could in the back of the car and then headed back to the Z area to cheer for my teammates. Thank goodness for handwarmers, warm food, music, and the crazies that make up my tri team. Seriously. My relay team turned in a 4:55 marathon. Not too shabby given the circumstances.

I can't even describe why this was such a weird race. It just is. Probably because it's a 3 loop course and it was miserable conditions, and yet I had a good time (well, overall, not running!).

No comments:

Post a Comment